Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lefty's Fresh Food - First Review

Lefty's Fresh Food

As we all know, eating out for us gluten free folk is nerve wracking and doesn't always end well. It's nice to know there are places out there that care about our health and are happy, able and willing to make dining an enjoyable experience for us.

My son and I went to Lefty's Fresh Food in Qualicum Beach on a Sunday at lunch time.

Our waitress was very kind and patient and was happy to help me find a gluten free meal.

I ordered the Coconut Prawns and the Southpawtato Dippers. My son had a big gluten-filled Clubhouse sandwich.

The Soutpawtato Dippers came with 3 dips: sweet chili, chipotle mayo and a pesto mayo. The pesto mayo was not safe to eat but the other two dips were good. Unfortunately the potatoes were dry and not particularly good. I wouldn't bother with these again. You get a lot of potatoes for your $6 so maybe on another day the potatoes might not be so dry.

The Coconut Prawns were delicious. A hint of spiciness and served on a bed of creamy basmati and wild rice risotto. Definitely worth the $10 price tag. This is on the appetizer menu so it's not a large portion. Good for smaller appetites or with a salad or other appetizer to make a complete meal.

I will definitely go to Lefty's again and try something different. They stock gluten free pizza crusts and breads so they can make almost any sandwich gluten free.

My only complaints are that the waitress packed my gluten free leftovers in the same container as my son's sandwich so I wasn't able to finish my meal when we had to leave to catch a ferry. Also, a gluten free dessert selection would be nice.

1 comment:

  1. I got to try these bad boys out and let me tell you, it's a winner! So very delicious!

    ReplyDelete