Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What's For Dinner?

I noticed on some celiac/gluten free forums that people have a hard time finding things to cook for dinner. I cook for a family of 7 every night so meal planning is a must. I thought I would share a month of our menu. I try to keep repeats to a minimum but there are a couple.

  1. Lentil soup, salad and GF cornbread
  2. Hamburgers, steamed cauliflower and baked potato wedges
  3. BBQ salmon, brown rice, steamed broccoli
  4. Grilled skewers from M&M meats (they have several GF varieties), grilled asparagus and rice
  5. Roast turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn
  6. Turkey tostadas with homemade corn tortillas
  7. Bacon & eggs, hashbrowns and fruit salad
  8. Asian peanut butter pork, rice and broccoli
  9. Green Thai curry with chicken, zucchini, carrots and baby corn, rice
  10. Beef stir fry with lots of vegetables and rice or rice noodles
  11. Salad and turkey soup made with the bones from last week's turkey
  12. Tacos with corn taco shells, ground beef and homemade taco seasoning along with all the usual taco toppings
  13. Breakfast skillet with potatoes, eggs, sausages and toast
  14. Sole fillets fried with panko crumbs, cauliflower and rice
  15. Chicken nuggets, fries and tabouleh
  16. Maple salmon, brown rice and corn on the cob
  17. Grilled steak salad and baked potatoes
  18. Butter chicken, curried cauliflower and rice
  19. Prawns sauteed in garlic butter with rice and grilled zucchini
  20. BBQ chicken, Macaroni and cheese (I'll post a recipe for feeding a mixed family of gluten and GF eaters) and salad
  21. Homemade pizza
  22. Fritatta with potatoes, peppers and mushrooms, fruit and bacon
  23. Beef stir fry with lots of vegetables and rice or rice noodles
  24. Asian peanut butter pork, rice and broccoli
  25. Hamburgers, salad and fries
  26. Maple salmon, brown rice and steamed carrots
  27. Chili and cornbread
  28. Korean Ribs, rice and steamed broccoli
I don't generally plan a full 31 meals because there are always at least 3 evenings a month where we eat leftovers or eat out or just feel like oatmeal and tea.

That menu doesn't look any different from a regular meal plan does it? That's because it isn't. It's pretty much the same food we ate before I had to stop eating gluten. I just cook with some slight modifications. Where ever there is a bread product I either purchase a gluten free alternative for myself and a regular version for everyone else or I bake a gluten free version for everyone. I check labels obsessively and only use gluten free soy sauce, barbecue sauce, spices and I thicken soups and gravies with potato flour. Instead of burrito or fajita night we now have taco night and tostada night. We don't eat pasta often but when we do I make the sauce gluten free and cook seperate pasta for myself and everyone else.

For desserts this past month I have baked:
  1. Holy Cow Cake from The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free
  2. Gluten free apple crisp
  3. Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownies and vanilla ice cream
  4. Boston Cream Pie from The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free
  5. Coconut Cupcakes ... these were a bit of a disaster
  6. Banana Splits

No comments:

Post a Comment